St. Mary's Handwriting expectations
The letters of the alphabet are split into 'families' of letters that are formed from the same initial starting point or shape.
1. Straight line family - letters based on a single vertical line
2. The coathanger family - letters based on a c shape
3. The bridge family - letters that have a vertical down stroke followed by a diagonal movement to the right
4. The zig zag family - letters that use a zig zag shape
5. The smile family - letters that start with a smiley mouth shape
6. The misfits! Letters that are unique and individual and do not fit with any other letter groups
Handwriting is completed on 4 lines.